Friday, February 03, 2006

Jujube Jelly

How many have been lucky enough to taste this scrumptious delicacy of the south? If the fruit, by itself is a delight, created by God, then, this delicious man-made tidbit, is a symphony to the taste-buds.

If the name does not ring a bell and you are still wondering what am drooling about, I’ll spell out the tamil equivalent - E-L-A-N-D-H-A-I V-A-D-A-I!

Elandhaipazham / Elandhai vadai is probably the most un-hygienic things I indulge myself to... Who cares about hygiene when it tastes so good! When Chinese cuisine is full of worms and other creepy reptiles, swallowing a couple of crushed worms won't kill me...

If, L.R. Eswari and Kannadasan honored the fruit with the famous number of the yester years 'Elandhapayam, elandhapayam..chekka chivandha payam', Ilaythalapathi Vijay added glamour with 'Elandhapazham, elandhapazham unakku dhan'

Yeah, so what if the fruit is sold in open strollers on dusty T.Nagar and Purasaiwalkam roads? So what if the fruit cannot be washed? A fruit is a fruit is a fruit! and a delicious one too!

Getting back to Elandhai Vadai, the rustic local brands sold in Kumbakonam and Mayiladudhurai districts are the best. Though it is very difficult to find them in Chennai, there are a few stores like Ambiga Depot which sells a cleaner looking version.

It is a pity that this fruit didn’t get its due recognition. On googling further, I find that this tiny blob is rich in Vitamin C! One good reason to have more jujubes..

Hail Jujube!

18 comments:

Vidya said...

Hey!! u to like it too.. I love it.. was infact planning to blog about it but u did it first :(.. n e wayz.. nan enga ponaalum if I see elantha pazham I just stop and say "amma pls ..pls can I have it??".. yummm.. my mouth is watering just thinking about it. Elantha vadai I have tasted only ambiga made ones.. dont quite fancy them.. But the fruit ... ah! heaven..adhuvum with the salt and mirchi mix!!! :)

krishis said...

do u believe it ? jujube jelly - the anglicized form for elanthai pazham comes up on a blog ! well as long as the fuit is delicious and the blog is fun to read, good job there :-)

whatever, let me try it one of these days :-)

srivat said...

Yadhvi,
Elandhaipazham kooda ok.Once in a while I get to eat.But I cannot stand elandhai vadai.:-).

kaushik said...

hi:
i just posted a comment on one of your prev posts( the tsunami one)...loved your blog....esp the DDLJ stories and all....

hope to cya around

btw, can you give me either the english or hindi name of this fruit.....elandhaipazham?en tamil robha weak,so i am sure i must have had it if it is so famous in madras! just i dont know its tam name

Yadhvi said...

Hey Vidya,
Good to see you like it too..and yeah, that mirchi salt mix..I forgot about it! Whatz jujube without that?!

Yadhvi said...

srivat,
just curious, does your sis like elandhai vadai? I guess elandhaipazham/elandhai vadai are favorites of girls more than guys..

Yadhvi said...

krishis.
I really doubt if you'll get them in US..and even if you do, am sure it is not as tasty as the road side ones here

Yadhvi said...

Kaushik
Thanks :-)
and welcome to my post!

English - Common jujube
Hindi - Badara, Badari, Ber, Beri(This is what google says!)
but the stroller guys who sell it might not know english/hindi names.
In the roads of Chennai, if you ever see a tiny reddish-brown marble sized squishy fruits, thatz what it is!

Shastry said...

hey naa konja lata vandhutten... now worries... but latestaa comment panren..... every single year, during the elandhai pazham season, my athai and mom will do this elandhai vadai in my home.... veliya vaanginaa thaan hyegienic pbm? enakku antha prachanaye illa... so evlo venum nalum naan sappiduven.... next time panrache unga ellarkkum courier panni vidava? online shopping onnu aarambikkava?

Yadhvi said...

@shastry,
homemade elandhai vadai ya? I bet it'll be sold out as soon as you open the online shop!!
Appadiye konjam recipe sonneenga na, naanum veetle try pannuven :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey, can't forget those days when I used to buy a pottalam of elandhai pazham outside Bains school, on my way back from school!! ippo kooda elandhai pazham-nu sonna naakkellam thanni vidaradu :-)

Yadhvi said...

mukund,
Welcome to my post..
Aana, vayile thanni varadhu....Elandha pazhathukaaga mattum dhane? adhenna outside Bains? vera engeyume kedaikaadha?

Mukund said...

madras-10 pakkam irukkara school pasanga ellam school mudinja udane bains school velila dhaan iruppaanga, adhu teriyada? :D vayile thanni varadhu, paadhi elandha pazhathukku, meedhi........;)

Yadhvi said...

Neenga Madras-10 le padicheengala?
Adhu 'Enga Area..Ulle Varaadhe' ;-) I live there!

Mukund said...

anga dhaan padichhom :) andha area-va neenga eppo vaanginel? :) by the way, just started blogging....do check it out

Unknown said...

naangalum ennaiki
elandha vada sapteom
very tasty
we want home made elandha vadai
online shopping started
i give my address
can u courier me
:-)

Anonymous said...

Funny that everyone loves jujubes and we fight the trees from coming up in the back yard. They're thorny and grab you on the way by. The kids pick them in the fall and eat until they're sick. So many of them go to waste every year, so I'm looking for a jelly recipe so we can not waste them.

Anonymous said...

what is it called in Kannada? i tried googling but could not find, i remember eating it whn i ws in school, just cant remember the name. please help.